The Pinball Number Count is a series of animated segments that debuted on Sesame Street in episode 0989 (broadcast on February 22, 1977). Each entry follows a pinball as it goes through an extravagant pinball machine, while the Pointer Sisters sing a counting song. The lyrics count up to number twelve, with each segment focusing on a different number. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12
SIDENOTE: Kylebra if you're thinking about adding 1 again there is none!!!!
- 1 (Fan-on)
- 2 - Carnival
- 3 - Circus
- 4 - Golf
- 5 - On The Go
- 6 - Farm
- 7 - Around The World (Video: 40 Years of Sunny Days)
- 8 - Wildlife
- 9 - Baseball
- 10 - Middle Ages
- 11 - Jungle
- 12 - Sightseeing (Video: USA Let's Make Music)
Gabe Sotillo's Version
Segments of Gabe Sotillo's Version
For each segment, Instead of covering the whole screen, it shows the number flashing when someone says the number. When the number shows up, it shows how many of something is there instead of how many stars are there.
- 1 - Arctic Lands: The ball lands on 1 polar bear with the number 1 on the cup which the polar bears gives to 1 penguin with a unicycle, hat, and bowtie holds. The penguin then goes into the igloo with the number 1 flashing red and yellow. An ice fox with a red hat with the number 1 on it sends the ball to a hole around poles with one of them with the number 1 on it. The ball goes into 1 whale with the flashing 1 appearing again. The whale swims to another hole, gets the ball through the hole and out of the iceberg. A snowman with a blue hat with the number 1 on it catches the ball and throws it into another hole with the flashing ball appearing one more time, with the snowman waving hello.
- 2 - Haunted Mansion: The ball lands on a Haunted Mansion with a number 2 on it which the balls falls off and then a Monster arm jabs the ball which bumps into 2 graves. The ball then goes on turning with 2 ghosts on the barrier and a red number 2 which makes the ball turn right and then into a dead tree with an eye on it. The number 2 flashes yellow and green. The ball goes up and on a tree arm which it throws it at two cauldrons. The ball drops down to two cauldrons numbered 1 and 2. It goes down the cauldron number 1 where a black cat comes out and spits the ball out and 2 bats came out of the hole. The ball has also passed a grave with the number 2 on it. The ball hits the wall with 2 pictures. Thre green one is a picture of the old 2 section. The red one is the bat which looks at the ball. The ball hits 2 goblins (It hits the green one first, then the blue one) and then goes into the hole.
- 3 - The Desert: The ball falls into a 3 car trolley (Yellow/Red/Green), into the 3rd train track (the green one) passing 3 cacti, a blue sign with the number 3 on it, and then goes into a cactus with 3 holes. It launches the ball with 3 flowers which are counted as on screen numbers are shown. The number 3 flashes blue and orange. The balls goes on 3 buttons which makes three armadillos jump and then goes into a cave with a spinning blocker with 3 barrels next to it with a sign with the number 3 on it. It goes to a rock barrier which makes it turn right and into a hole. The 3 other holes have dancing snakes come out with dots on it (From left to right: Red with orange dots, yellow with purple dots, and Blue with Green Dots)
- 4 - The Garden: The ball falls on 4 mushrooms with numbers on it, hits a 4 petal flower, goes into a bush which 4 different colored bunnies pop out. The number 4 flashes red and cyan. The ball exits the bush, hits a "Four" sign pointing right with 4 flags next to it, goes under 4 ladybugs which are counted as on screen numbers are shown, goes into a hole with 4 pots that spell out "FOUR" next to it which grows a flower on each one, enters an underground cave where it encounters 4 gnomes, goes out of the cave, makes 4 butterflies spin, hits a fountain with 4 different colors, goes under 4 birds, and goes into a hole as the birds wave to the camera. (From left to right of the colors of the mushrooms, bunnies, flags, flowers, gnomes, butterflies, fountain, and birds: Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow. However, the four bunnies popped out in this order: Blue, Red, Green and then Yellow)
- 5 - The Forest: The ball goes down a curved slope with the number 5 on it which stops at a back of a moose with a number 5 on it. The moose kicks the ball to show 5 moles each having numbers on the hat from 1 to 5. The ball goes into a log with 5 frogs. They are all waving which the 5 appears flashes purple and pink. The green one picks up the ball and it goes through a tunnel with 5 turtles but each time a turtle is passed, a number shows on the bottom right counting from 1 to 5 and has the turtle's colors. It then goes into a ant hill and goes to show all 5 turtles which 5 appearing flashing purple and pink. The ball then goes hit a rock which sets the ball above and hitting the 5 ant's hats each having numbers on the hat from 1 to 5. The 5th ant with the yellow hat hits it above which goes into a tree and there are 5 squirrels each with bows. The balls goes below them and every time a squirrel is passed, a number appears below them with the color of squirrels and counting from 1 to 5 and this time, it stays there. The ball then into another hole and the 5 appears flashing purple and pink and the squirrels are waving to us. (The color order of the five moles’ hats, frogs, turtles, ants’ hats and squirrels’ bow ties is Blue, Red, Green, Orange and Yellow)
- 6 - The city
- 7 - Outer Space
- 8 - Underwater
- 9 - ??
- 10 - ??
- 11 - ??
- 12 - ??
- 1 is the only number up to 12 that is not used in the series in the original version. Gabe's Version has the number 1.
- 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, and 12 are all released to video individually. The 10 segment is in Hebrew.
- None of the segments with the Electric Guitar were released to video individually.
- All 11 segments are released to video together as a special feature in Elmo's Magic Numbers.
- 5 is the only number that doesn't appear in the Sesame Street website. Poor 5.
- 4 and 9 are the only segments to appear on Hulu.
- Running time of each segment is 64-67 seconds.
- There are three different music solos for some numbers:
- 2, 4, 9, 12: Steel drum
- 3, 8, 11: Electric guitar
- 1, 5, 6, 7, 10: Saxophone
- The Pointer Sisters who did the counting and singing for the series are Bonnie, June, and Ruth.
- The series is dubbed in:
- Dutch (Sesamstraat)
- Hebrew (Rechov Sumsum)
- Norwegian (Sesam Stajson)
- Polish (Ulica Sesamkowa)
- Portuguese (Vila/Rua Sesamo)
- Russian (Ulitsa Sezam)
- Spanish (Plaza/Barrio Sesamo)
- Swedish (Svenska Sesam)
- Turkish (Susam Sokagi)
- In the book Sesame Street: A Celebration of 40 Years of Life on the Street, the chapter numbers in the table of contents page are taken from the series.
- 1, 6, and 11 are taken from the end of each segment.
- 2, 7, and 12 are taken from the clock-like diagram.
- 3, 8, and 13 are taken from the clip where the number appears above the hole.
- 4, 8, and 14 are taken from the stars with the number.
- 5, 10, and 15 are taken from the kaleidescope clip.
- 13, 14, and 15 don't appear in the show, but are fanmade.
- Like in the original 8, Gabe's 1 and 3 are where the ball doesn't enter the scene immediately.
- Cameos/Refrences in Gabes Version
- The unicycle in Gabe's 1 is a reference to that of the original 8
- The tree from the 2 segment does the same animation in reference to the orignal 12
- 2 bats look like the bat from the original 2 segment as a cameo
- A bumper from the intro makes a cameo as a spring sending the ball flying to the cactus in the 3 segment
- The cactus sprouts 3 flowers after shooting the ball out in similarity to the original 3
- The windmill from the original 2 makes a cameo in Gabe's 3
- The ending for Gabe's 3 is a reference to the original 4 where the ball rolls over a golfer with a flag with the number 4 written on it standing next to a hole before entering a rabbit burrow
- The trees in Gabe's 5 are the same as the ones in the original 4
- These will be the solos for Gabe's version.
- 2, 4, 9, 12: Steel drum
- 3, 6, 7, 11: Electric guitar
- 1, 5, 8, 10: Saxophone
- 2 and 12 are the only numbers in the segment to be released in video multiple times.